Mother in Law’s tongue Dangerous Plant, Warn your friends and family about Dieffenbachia / dumbcane

Mother in Law’s tongue Dangerous Plant, Warn your friends and family about Dieffenbachia / dumbcane: This household plant is very common in many homes and offices. manipurstories.com

Mother in Law’s tongue Dangerous Plant, Warn your friends and family about Dieffenbachia / dumbcane

Mother in Law’s tongue Dangerous Plant, Warn your friends and family about Dieffenbachia / dumbcane

Mother in Law’s tongue Dangerous Plant, Warn your friends and family about Dieffenbachia / dumbcane: This household plant is very common in many homes and offices.
Sadly, there are many popular houseplants that are toxic to both humans and pets so care must be taken when growing them. Dieffenbachia  is deadly poisonous and dangerous, if you touch it by chance you should never rub your fingers to your eyes as this could cause permanent blindness.

The name refers to its poisonous effect, mainly when ingested. The poison can temporarily cause an inability to speak. The poisonous effect of the dieffenbachia plant happens because the plant contains needle-shaped oxalate crystals, (oxalic acid) as well as asparagines, a protein found in the plant. When the leaf is chewed, these crystals will cause a burning sensation. This poisonous plant can kill a child in one minute and an adult in 15 minutes. Since dogs and cats are most likely to be random chewers, the toxicity of the plant can be more severe. There have been reported instances of death with dogs, cats, rabbits and pet birds etc. 
Symptoms of dieffenbachia poisoning are as follows:
  • Mouth symptoms
  • swelling and blistering in the mouth or on the tongue
  • a burning sensation in the mouth or throat
  • nausea and vomiting
  • hoarseness
  • difficulty swallowing
  • Eye Symptoms
  • If the poison is transferred to the eyes from the hands, these symptoms could occur:
  • damage to the cornea
  • eye pain.
  • Skin symptoms
  • general redness
  • burning
  • itching
  • Ingestion symptoms
  • If the juice of the plant has been swallowed, one can expect
  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • difficulty breathing (if enough is consumed)
FIRST AID FOR DIEFFENBACHIA POISONING 
If you or your child is affected, first wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth.  Drink milk to ease the symptoms. For eye symptoms, rinse them well with cool water.
The most common additional medical treatments for dieffenbachia poisoning are antihistamines, medical charcoal or analgesic agents.
Plants have an amazing ability to help humans prosper in more ways than one. But just keep in mind to research the plants you are growing around your homes and offices to avoid any untoward incidents. Thanks for reading the article please share it.

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0